General Civil Practice in all State and Federal Courts. Administrative Law, Commercial, Real Estate and Business Litigation. Corporation, Business, Partnership, Real Property, Zoning and Land Use Planning.
Upon request, Mr. Mollath is available for service as a mediator and arbitrator, or consultation to lawyers on complex legal matters.
STEPHEN C. MOLLATH admitted to bar, 1973, Nevada, U.S. District Court, District of Nevada and U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit; 1992, Colorado. Education: University of Nevada (B.A., 1970); Stanford University; Santa Clara University (J.D., 1973). Law Clerk, Second Judicial District Court, 1973-1974. Deputy Attorney General, State of Nevada, 1974-1975. Author: “Major Land Use Laws in Nevada”, 1991; “Nevada Real Estate Development in the 90’s”, 1992; “Advanced Real Estate Law in Nevada”, 1994; “Keys to Success in Real Estate Transactions”, 1995; “Mastering Land Use and Planning Processes”, 2011, Published by National Business Institute; “Nevada Real Estate Titles and Title Insurance”, 1996, Published by Half Moon Publishing. Member: State Bar of Nevada; State Bar of Colorado. [Capt., U.S. Army, Intelligence, 1970-1980].
Land Use, Zoning, Development and Litigation Clients (Past and Present):
Airport Authority of Washoe County; American West Development; K-Mart Corporation; American Property Development; Security Capital Industrial Trust and Security Capital Pacific Trust, also known as Prologis; American Home Builders; Sierra Pacific Power Company; Diloreto Construction and Development; Kaufman and Broad Home Corporation; Granite Construction Company; Atlantis Hotel Casino; Peppermill Hotel & Casino; Earl E. Games, Inc.; Kal Kan, a Division of Mars, Inc.; International Game Technology (IGT); St. Mary’s Regional Medical Center; FHP, Inc. (HMO); Dermody Properties; Boomtown, Inc.; BHP Minerals; Sierra Bank; Eagle Hardware and Garden; Home Depot; AirTouch Cellular; Wells Fargo Bank; Wal-Mart; Oil-Dri Corporation; Lewis Homes; Centex Homes; Home Base, Inc.; A.D. Seeno Construction; Bank of the West; City National Bank; The Board of Regents of the Nevada System of Higher Education, University of Nevada, Reno.
Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe; The Ribeiro Companies; Gordon Getty Family Trust; Varner Dynasty Trust
Martindale-Hubbell®. AV Preeminent® rating (5 out of 5) from Martindale-Hubbell®, a legal encyclopedia which rates lawyers based upon confidential recommendations from other lawyers and judges. An AV Preeminent® is a significant rating accomplishment – a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence and reflects a combination of achieving a Very High General Ethical Standards rating and a Legal Ability numerical rating on a scale of 1 to 5 (with 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest).
The Best Lawyers® in America. Selection to the Best Lawyers is based upon an exhaustive and rigorous peer review survey comprising more than two million confidential evaluations by the top attorneys in the country. Specialty – Land Use & Zoning Law.
2016/2017 The U.S.News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” First-Tier Ranking. Rankings are based on a rigorous evaluation process that includes the collection of client and lawyer evaluations, and peer review from leading attorneys in their field. Specialty – Land Use & Zoning Law.
Appearances Before Legislative Bodies and Administrative Boards:
Reno City Council, Planning Commission, Board of Adjustment and Re-Development Agency
Sparks City Council, Planning Commission and Re-Development Agency
Carson City Board of Supervisors and Planning Commission
Henderson City Council and Planning Commission
Incline Village General Improvement District Board (IVGID)
Washoe County Commission and Planning Commission
Washoe County District Health Board
Washoe County Board of Equalization
Storey County Commission (Virginia City)
Douglas County Commission and Planning Commission
Churchill County Commission (Fallon)
Tahoe Regional Planning Agency (TRPA)
Regional Transportation Commission (RTC)
Truckee Meadows Regional Planning Commission and Governing Board
Nevada State Board of Equalization
Nevada Occupational Health and Safety Board (OSHA)
Nevada Public Service Commission (PSC)
Nevada State Contractors Board
Nevada Board of Medical Examiners
Nevada State Environmental Commission (NDEP)
Nevada State Dairy Commission
Nevada State Board of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors
Courts in Which Practiced:
U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit (San Francisco)
U.S. District Court (Reno and Las Vegas)
U.S. Bankruptcy Court (Reno and Las Vegas)
U.S. Bankruptcy Appellate Panel, 9th Circuit (San Francisco)
First Judicial District Court (Carson City and Storey County)
Second Judicial District Court (Washoe County)
Third Judicial District Court (Churchill and Lyon Counties)
Fourth Judicial District Court (Elko County)
Eighth Judicial District Court (Clark County)
Ninth Judicial District Court (Douglas County)
American Arbitration Association
Major Zoning, Planning, and Real Estate Development Matters:
- Participated as legal counsel for Intervenor Property Owners (representing 10,000+ acres) in the Truckee Meadows Regional Plan Litigation Mediation Proceedings before The Honorable Judge James Hardesty whereat a settlement was reached on overall Regional Planning, to include water issues, between Reno, Sparks, Washoe County and the Washoe County Regional Planning Governing Board (2002 – 2004).
- Reno Downtown Redevelopment
- Reno Railroad Trench (RETRAC) Proceedings
- 2002 Truckee Meadows Regional Plan Adoption Process and Amendments
- 2006 Truckee Meadows Regional Plan Process
- Truckee Meadows Regional Water Plan Dispute – Truckee Meadows Water Authority and Washoe County Utilities Division (2004) – Legal counsel for major property owners.
- Zoning entitlement process, construction contract and institutional loan and documentation for Atlantis Hotel Casino and Peppermill Hotel Casino expansions.
- Zoning entitlement process, organizational documentation, governing structure documentation and institutional loan documentation for in excess of 1 million square feet of office, commercial and industrial development.
- Zoning entitlement process and governing structure documentation (to include institutional loan documentation) for in excess of 5,000 units of single-family and multi-family residential units.
Litigation and Appellate Experience:
- Limited to real estate, zoning, commercial, condemnation and business matters.
- Over 25 published opinions in the Nevada Supreme Court and 9th Circuit Court of Appeals (Federal).
- Over 25 jury trials in significant condemnation, business and commercial cases.
- Over 200 bench trials and arbitrations in significant business, zoning, planning, real estate, business and commercial cases.